The University’s brand is intended to help tell its powerful story consistently and effectively.
In addition to the resources below, your colleagues in Marketing Communications can help ensure that you are applying the University’s brand messages and design appropriately. Our goal is to help you reach your goals within the framework of the University’s overall message and brand.
Visual Identity Guidelines
View the basic standards, colors, and how to use the logo.
It’s not always easy to talk about what makes SIU distinctive in a concise and meaningful way. These talking points highlight some of the distinguishing characteristics of SIU that set us apart from other universities. Think of these as messages that you can use to help frame your thoughts as you talk about SIU.
- The brains of a nationally ranked research university. The heart of a small college. We found the perfect balance of teaching and research without compromising on either. We’ve designed our campus in a way that brings people together and fosters a close community of scholars. Because we think a top-tier education should also be a hands-on experience.
- We’re powered by relationships and driven by an insatiable academic appetite. It’s the exchange of ideas, the shared thrill of discovery, and the deep respect for our campus and community that define our culture. It’s these relationships that propel us and shrink the distance between where we are and where we want to be. And why, at SIU, big things are always within reach.
- For those with a desire to learn, we offer an academic experience that will take them as far as they want to go. Our students have everything they need to make their college experience challenging, exciting, and completely their own. Because we believe that initiative should always be rewarded and there’s no such thing as too ambitious.
About the Brand
The SIU Brand Book is the most comprehensive look at the overall strategy. For a more portable reference, the condensed brand brochure offers important top-level information to keep conversations on point.
Brand Graphic Design Tips
- Use photography that supports the SIU brand story: emphasize academic focus and access to big opportunities. Also, authenticity and engagement are key—select photos that are active and bold.
- Also, when it comes to photography: it’s quality over quantity. A few large, select photos can have much more impact than multiple smaller images. There are places to use smaller imagery (such as in a matrix) to convey multiple stories, but this should be done sparingly.
- The right type. Use the primary fonts of the sans serif Universe family for marketing materials. Use the sans serif Universe font and the serif Palatino font for direct internal and official institutional communications.
- Always use PMS 209 Maroon (for print), white and black for all university communications. Of course, depending on print quality and technique, adjustments may be needed to achieve an acceptable equivalent of PMS 209 Maroon. We recommend reviewing the full print palettes of available accent colors.
- Don’t overwhelm readers. When large amounts of text are needed, use subheads and other visual devices that allow the main ideas to rise to the top and give readers quick access.
- Tools at your fingertips. Go beyond these topline tips and get comprehensive guidelines with the SIU Brand Book. And for proper usage of the SIU identity logomark system, please refer to the SIU Visual Identity Manual. Of course, if you need help with the development of any communications, contact us for assistance.