The social media and student communications team manages the university’s primary social media sites and assists the office with communication strategies to reach currently enrolled students. We also provide strategic counsel to offices that have their own social media sites to assure they can effectively engage their constituencies through social media.
- We provide training for those wanting to use social media on campus.
- We help with overall strategy in implementing a social campaign or choosing which social media channels best fit the needs of the individual department.
- We lead the Social Media Users Group (SMUG).
- We constantly look for updates to channels and trending social media in higher education.
- We maintain a list of best practices for overall social strategy, as well as individual channels.
- We manage communications traffic to students via Hobsons Retain.
- We advise offices on effective student communication strategies.
- We manage social communities for SIU, including Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, Vine, Pinterest and more.
- We communicate emergency and crisis information via social media.
- We create and curate content, including video, for social channels.
- We develop social campaigns.
- We manage the private SIU Facebook application.
- We advise people on compliance with the university’s social media policy.
- We create and distribute the SIU Family Newsletter, which is emailed five times each year.
Contact: Tamarah Cook, assistant director, 453-2061